Art and Design
At Sunny Bank our Art and Design curriculum aims to engage, inspire and challenge all children to develop their creativity, imagination and equip all children with the knowledge and skills that they need to experiment and invent their own works of Art. Our Art and Design curriculum allows children to experiment and develop skills throughout Key Stage One and Two in six different areas; drawing, painting, printing, textiles, 3D and collage whilst at the same time exploring and evaluating the works of a diverse range of great artists that are local, national and international whilst also being able to evaluate their own and their peers artwork.
We provide high quality teaching that inspires and challenges all children alongside teaching a wide variety of techniques. We have high standards of what the children can achieve, therefore encourage the children to produce works of art that challenge and extend their knowledge and abilities as well as being a platform to express themselves.
Teaching of Art and Design Technology in Early Years Foundation Stage
In Early years, Art and Design plays a crucial role in their creative development. Children are taught to represent their own ideas, thoughts and feelings through art and design. They safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function.
Teaching of Art in Key Stage One
Children will be taught:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Teaching of Art in Key Stage Two
Children will be taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
Children will be taught:
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- about great artists, architects and designers in history.
Within art and design, we strive to inspire an appreciation and enjoyment of the arts enriching the children’s learning experience. Our art and design curriculum is high quality, well thought out and is planned to demonstrate progression. We focus on progression of knowledge and skills from Reception to Year Six. Children will be become creative learners, who have a web of knowledge about the great artists of the world. Creativity and individuality will be celebrated and children will become proficient at editing and improving the pieces they have created.